UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: Administrative Officers, Deans, Department Chairs, Directors, Faculty, Librarians, Vice Chancellors and Vice Provosts
A search/advisory committee has been assembled and charged with identifying candidates to be the next University Librarian at UCLA.
Alessandro Duranti, distinguished professor of anthropology and dean of the Division of Social Sciences, is chair of the committee. Other members are:
- Johanna Drucker – professor of information studies
- William P. Edwards – president, Westwood Investments
- Alicia Gaspar de Alba – professor of Chicana/o studies, English and gender studies
- Lynn K. Gordon – professor of ophthalmology and associate dean for academic diversity, David Geffen School of Medicine
- Kendall N. Houk – professor of chemistry and biochemistry
- Beverly Lynch - professor of information studies
- Kelly Lytle-Hernandez – associate professor of history
- Jonathan F.S. Post – distinguished professor of English
- Todd Presner – professor of Germanic languages, comparative literature and Jewish studies
- Timothy Rice – professor of ethnomusicology and director of the UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music
- Francis F. Steen – associate professor of communication studies
Since the most effective way to identify outstanding prospective candidates is through personal contact, I would very much appreciate your circulating the announcement below and notifying the search committee of any individuals you feel are exceptionally well qualified for the position. Please email inquiries, nominations and applications to LibrarianSearch@conet.ucla.edu.
As a critical part of the search process, the search committee seeks input from the campus community on ideal qualities and qualifications for the new university librarian, current issues and priorities that could help set the agenda for the UCLA libraries, and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts. If you are interested in providing input to the committee, please contact Traci Considine, manager of executive searches in the Office of the Chancellor (310-206-8003 or firstname.lastname@example.org). All input, inquiries, nominations and applications will be held in strict confidence.
Thank you for your assistance.
Scott L. Waugh
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost